Re: [spf-discuss] Re: GMAIL mis-usage of SPF?

2005-11-18 12:51:07

Hector Santos wrote:

Hector Santos wrote:

It is BAD.  It is terrible.

It's harmless, and the header field clearly said "best guess",
i.e. some kind of "receiver policy".  In that case you get a
PASS for "plausible" and a NEUTRAL for "who knows".  That's
still better than "NONE" if the "best guess" is good enough.

In theory you could also reject on a "best guess" FAIL base.
If it's clear that "best guess" is NOT a "sender policy" I
don't get why you are so excited, it's a receiver policy and
no new idea.
                        Bye, Frank

I get "so excited" because its a moronic idea.

  "Look fellas, I don't have a SPF policy, yet you will use
   an NON-SPF logic to verify me with SPF Notification
   informatin."

Wonderful!  Spammers lick their chops with crap like this.

It is part of the specs?   No.  So why it is in a Library
that some people will end up using?  You might as well make
it part of the specs.

Sorry, Frank, call me what you like. Its stupid and if people
are scratching their heads as too why SPF gets a bad rap it is
because of moronic ideas like this.

Unbelievable!

You have a good point. "Best Guess" was AFAIK, formed from a lenient
interpretation of what a lot of mail servers were starting to do
pre-SPF. SPF came about because it quickly became evident what a
craptacular idea it was when implemented from the receiver's end
and the "Best guess" mechanism was put in place as a transition.
It wasn't the best idea, but it helped in the first few months.

I'd actually say that we may have enough of a critical mass (what is it,
10% of domains publish? 30% of email with validatable SPF?) that
"Best guess" can be declared officially obsolete and deprecated as
a technique, in addition to being removed from the reference
implementation. I'll double check the mail servers I run, and see
if I can pull some stats.

- --
Daniel Taylor          VP Operations            Vocal Laboratories, Inc.
dtaylor(_at_)vocalabs(_dot_)com   http://www.vocalabs.com/
(952)941-6580x203