Re: [spf-discuss] Bounce-Spam and SPF-Ignorant ISPs - it is time to retaliate?

2005-11-29 06:31:49
On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 03:53:10PM -0500, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
On Mon, 28 Nov 2005, paddy wrote:

At the same time, novel uses of the text in 5xx and 4xx may succeed in
gently contacting some admins (Didn't Stuart offer a positive story of
this recently ?)

Not quite.  My experience is that the text from 5xx/4xx is mangled and
never seen by the user and/or appears in an MUA dialog box that the user
ignores as "yet another error sending mail".

I agree that real users appear to be dyslexic wrt DSNs and the like,
but they do occasionally present interesting samples for interpretation

but I'm mainly thinking of mailservers and admins.

If AOL had to queue all the spam it's bouncing, surely it wouldn't go
unnoticed for long?

<snip>
Unfortunately, there is no reliable way to detect repies to a DSN.  I
have a large mailbox full of them, and intend to compile a heuristic to
detect the case where the DSN simply says "user xxxx does not exist"
and/or variations thereof in various languages (don't ask me why
they didn't simply give a 5xx response).  I can then alter the
DSN cache entries for such BAD user DSNs to reflect the 5xx response that
should have been given and begin rejecting email allegedly from the
non-existent user.

yes, I've been collecting various categories of nuisance mail with a mind to
training a bayes filter on it.  another job for that round tuit.

Regards,
Paddy
--
Perl 6 will give you the big knob. -- Larry Wall