Re: [spf-discuss] Bounce-Spam and SPF-Ignorant ISPs - it is time to retaliate?

2005-11-30 07:50:11
On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 14:21 +0000, Julian Mehnle wrote:
Note that this is not exactly what I meant.  Proxying the MAIL FROM and
RCPT TO commands is a first step, but really the DATA command should be
proxied, too, in order to cover any content checks that the receiver
system might perform.  Only if the receiver system accepts the DATA
command and the message data with a 2xx status code, should the
forwarding/relaying/proxying system "accept" the message vis-a-vis the
calling system.  (Or of course if the receiver system isn't reachable.)

Yeah, that _would_ be nice -- you could just about avoid the
store-and-forward altogether. It isn't something which is possible in
any general-purpose MTA that I'm aware of, though. As long as you ensure
that the data policies are in sync (or at least that your MX backup is
no _less_ strict than the primary) it's not so bad just doing it with
verification.

--
dwmw2