Re: [spf-discuss] IAB appeal draft

2006-02-08 13:58:58

 Hello!

 [ First time post to the list after one year reading ]

Am Mittwoch, 8. Februar 2006 21:11 schrieb Julian Mehnle:
Julian Mehnle wrote:
here's a carefully considered draft for the IAB appeal.  Sorry for the
delay!  Please review it soon!

One last draft before I submit it to the IAB.  Please send any criticism
within the next 90min.

 Good work, I really like the draft, found only two or three problems.

 ( Please note, i am *not* a native English speaker, therefore I can not
   provide good alternative wording. )

 Anyway in the following sentence, every time I tried, I got a "parse error"
 at position "||".  May be, it is just because of my limited skills in
 English.

The conflict arose
    only after the IESG asked for individual draft submissions from the
SPF
    and Sender ID authors and draft-lyon-senderid-core-00[5] was submitted
    (which for the first time included the re-interpretation of "v=spf1"
    records for the PRA identity), and accepting such a submission despite
    the prior MARID WG consensus[6] that "v=spf1" should not be used for
    checking of PRA or other unexpected identities
    clearly violates the
    ultimate goal of producing reliable standards.

 I did not get the connecting of "clearly violates ...." with the rest of
 that sentence.

 An other point I found (again, I may have missed something because of
 insufficient language understanding):

 The second paragraph under Point "2." :

This reasoning disregards the substantial history the "v=spf1" record
 definition has had outside the IETF since late 2003[8].  The SPF
 project, which I am representing in this case, believes that the
 decision to ignore the prior experience ...

 might be a little offending.  Perhaps the second sentence in that paragraph
 should be reversed, that is, first say SPF Community has accepted the
 decision, then say SPF Community consider it wrong.

 The last sentence in paragraph three under point "2.":

Requiring participants in the SPFv1 experiment to "opt out"
   from also participating in the Sender ID experiment by publishing an
   empty "spf2.0" record cannot be considered an acceptable solution
   either, both based on principle and given the large number of existing
   "v=spf1" records that were published before Sender ID was conceived[9].

 raises the question "why is that bad?".  If it can be done in a short
 sentence, it may be usefull to add why this re-use of "v=spf1" will harm
 participant in one or the other experiment.

 Best Regards

    Bjoern Kahl

|     Björn Kahl   +++   Bahnhofstrasse 2c   +++   95444 Bayreuth      |