[spf-discuss] Re: Fw: SRS vs BATV

2006-02-16 20:46:24
Craig Whitmore wrote:

CBV is SMTP without DATA and MAIL FROM:<>, or isn't it ?

CBV is
"
MAIL FROM: <>
RCPT TO: isthis(_dot_)emailaddres(_at_)real
QUIT
"

Okay, apparently we agree on this, the "problem" must be BATV.

As I understand it BATV "encodes" an original MAIL FROM x into
some MAIL FROM crypto-x+expiration.  That's what the receiving
MX and anything behind it see.  If they have to bounce the
mail, or if they send other auto-replies as specified in 3834,
they send RCPT TO crypto-x+expration.  At least for a normal
bounce they'd use MAIL FROM:<>.

Therefore the MXs corresponding to x _must_ accept all legit
bounces RCPT TO crypto-x+expration, and in fact they must also
accept other mails RCPT TO crypto-x+expiration.

The MX then identifies crypto-x+expiration as good address,
replaces it by x, and forwards it to the MDA for delivery in
mailbox x, ready.

If that's the idea CBV will perfectly work with BATV.  The
case where BATV would reject bounces includes direct RCPT TO x
MAIL FROM <> instead of RCPT TO crypto-x+epiration.

But CBV doesn't verify x, it verifies crypto-x+expiration.
So where's the problem ?
                          Bye, Frank