Re: [spf-discuss] Using CBV

2006-02-17 19:29:45
"Hector Santos" <spf-discuss(_at_)winserver(_dot_)com> writes:

No, during the single and same CBV session to validate the return path, if
this passes, then another RCPT-TO: is issued.

Okay, maybe this is the confusion...  Does this describe what's
happening?

  - Machine A is sending mail "from" address user(_at_)example(_dot_)com to
    machine B.

  - You check whether example.com is running an open relay.

  - You *don't* explicitly check whether machine A is an open relay.

If that's the case, the check would seem to be of limited utility
unless A also happens also to be the mail exchanger for example.com.
But at least the scheme, as I now understand it, doesn't risk loops.

I think you should include the IP address of the client that caused
the probe, and the possibly forged Mail-From address.  Otherwise, you
may know that people are forging mail from you, but have no way of
identifying who is doing it.

Hasn't been an issue David.  But I will take it in for future consideration
:-)

Well, it's not an issue now because CBV hasn't been that widely
deployed.  If everyone did CBV, it would allow a new kind of
"reflector" attack.  As a precaution it's better not to hide the
identity of the sender from the forgery victim.  Also, of course, you
should never perform CBV when the SPF disposition is Fail.

(Having been the victim of joe-job attacks, this is something I don't
want to make worse than it already is.)

David