Re: [spf-discuss] Re: multiple HELOs

2006-02-18 07:39:49
On Sat, Feb 18, 2006 at 03:19:48PM +0100, Frank Ellermann wrote:
paddy wrote:

Is it possible to have a first HELO accepted, a second one
turned down and then proceed to MAIL FROM ?

Beats me, test it.  Multi-HELO appears to be rather abnormal
if I got Ralf's drift.  The last accepted HELO could be still
"the" HELO.  It won't surprise me if different servers have
their own ideas about multi-HELO.

According to 2821:

"If the EHLO command is not acceptable to the SMTP server, 501, 500,
 or 502 failure replies MUST be returned as appropriate.  The SMTP
 server MUST stay in the same state after transmitting these replies
 that it was in before the EHLO was received."

In other words: if you reject the EHLO command, pretend it wasn't
given at all.

Similar for 821:

"The first command in a session must be the HELO command.
 The HELO command may be used later in a session as well.  If
 the HELO command argument is not acceptable a 501 failure
 reply must be returned and the receiver-SMTP must stay in
 the same state."

Alex