Re: [spf-discuss] Re: nobody @ xyzzy

2006-02-21 22:55:53
On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 05:16:51 +0100, Frank Ellermann
<nobody(_at_)xyzzy(_dot_)claranet(_dot_)de> wrote:

Matthew(_dot_)van(_dot_)Eerde(_at_)hbinc(_dot_)com wrote:

What part of Sender ID breaks this?

I don't know which part.

I'm also curious, I thought GMaNe is "PRA-compatible" and adds
a Sender, so if the OP got something with PRA = nobody(_at_)xyzzy,
then I'm lost what happened.  Maybe a forged spam

I installed sid-milter 0.2.10.  Maybe it has bugs, or maybe gmane is
not compatible.  I don't have time to investigate right now.

I was looking for an SPF solution to use with sendmail.  I did not
want a perl solution, and the libspf/libspf2 situation looked ugly.

Then I ran across sid-milter, and technically, it looked better to me,
so that's what I chose.  OTOH, it combines SPF with sender-id.

I don't see any way to configure it to fail on SPF only, and ignore
sender-id failures.  It has these configuration levels:

  0  accept all mail
  1  reject if _both_ sender-id and SPF fail
  2  reject if _either_ sender-id or SPF fail
  3  reject unless _either_ sender-id or SPF pass
  4  reject unless _both_ sender-id and SPF pass
  5  reject mail for which a "pass" from either test overrides a
     "fail" from the other

I can't use option 1, because SPF could fail while sender-id is
neutral, and then I would not detect the SPF failure.  I can't use
option 3 or 4, because if both SPF and sender-id are neutral, that
would produce an unwanted rejection.

5 doesn't make sense to me.  Maybe they were trying to say either one
passing will override a failure of the other, but  "reject mail" seems
to confuse that.  Maybe that's just a documentation bug.

But in any case, if I use sid-milter, it seems I need to run at level
2 and reject any sender-id failures too.