Re: [spf-discuss] SPFv2.1: whether, why, and what?

2006-03-10 21:10:59
On Sat, Mar 11, 2006 at 03:07:23AM +0000, Julian Mehnle wrote:

  * Support both SPF (TYPE99) and TXT formats

Is this wise?  IMHO a new version of SPF should only use SPF records,
not TXT records.  Why do the extra work?

For backwards compatibility "v=spf1" records can also be found in TXT
record but only if no SPF (type99) record exists (v=spf2.1 or v=spf1).

  * Binary (compressed) RR format?

Now would be a good time to decide wether or not to accept both
text and binary (or even mixed? think include...).

I currently would opt for binary only but I may easely change my mind.

  * Make "include:" more tolerant:
      * Treat "include:domain-without-spf-record" as no-match instead of
        error?

Unintended results will happen either way:

a) the included domain normally does have an SPF(TXT) record but due to
   a mistake it does no longer have one
b) the included domain does not have such a record

If treated as "no-match" then case [a] is undesirable; the user probably
wants to know there's a problem.

If treated as "error" then case [b] is undesirable; the user doesn't care
enough to understand or investigate.

I think most errors will be type [b] but should ignorance win?

"v=spf1 include:_spf.example.org -all" should IMHO result in an error, not
in a fail.

      * Tolerate circular inclusions
        (a.org: include:b.org, b.org: include:a.org)

ugh... can we say can of worms?

  * Replace "~" qualifier by "testing" flag (op=testing) (so people don't
    leave their testing records in "~all" state forever)?

Instead they will leave "op=testing" forever.  IOW: what's the benefit?

2c
alex