Re: [spf-discuss] Re: PermError: Too many DNS lookups at Microsoft.com

2006-05-07 20:02:48
On Sun, 7 May 2006, Hector Santos wrote:

And again, that is just a "recommendation."   The error in the specs is that
its locked itself at 10.    All the specs needed to do is make the issue
aware and make it a receiver policy and we SPF vendors and/or library
writers will handle it from there.   A future BCP can come up witih a
recommended value.

You seem to be confusing "SPF result" with "receiver policy".  The spec only
defines the SPF result.  "Receiver policy" decides what to do with the
email based on many factors including the SPF result.  You are not
required to REJECT an email just because it gets PermError as the
SPF result.  For instance, I continue to accept emails with up
to 40 DNS lookups.  The SPF result is still PermError, but I accept the message
after sending a DSN (rate limited to 1/week) with the PermError diagnostic.