Re: [spf-discuss] Re: PermError: Too many DNS lookups at Microsoft.com

2006-05-06 20:56:46

----- Original Message -----
From: "Julian Mehnle" <julian(_at_)mehnle(_dot_)net>

Hector Santos wrote:
Too bad I was out of the loop when this decision was made.

Thats a major difference in SPF implementations and now you see the
effect for large SPF organization/networks wishing to support SPF.

It was also a major security hole in the old SPF specification that needed
to be fixed.

I don't disagree with the need for a fix. I disagree with the low ball SWAG
of 10 limit for lookup mechanisms.   It is too low IMO and I would venture a
PERMERROR is premature for many older SPF large organizations records.  For
all intent and purpose it places an artificial limit on the total domains
(10) a large site may use.

Again:

    Classic SPF(Microsoft) = SoftFail
    Current SPF(Microsoft) = PermError

It has nothing to do with a interoperability issue but a "human SWAG"
artificial limit.  Again, this is not a recursive issue where there was a
real security hole concern.

I would think, that if I was in the loop when this was being decided, I
would suggested that the end result should be the same.  If other words, if
the complete exhausted result is a SOFTFAIL, then the cut off would be a
SOFTFAIL as well.

Anyway, what's written is written.  I would love to see what Microsoft has
to say or what they end up correcting it with.  Scott, have you contacted
them yet?

http://www.santronics.com