Re: [spf-discuss] PermError: Too many DNS lookups at Microsoft.com

2006-05-06 16:45:58
At 01:30 PM 5/6/2006 -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:

With my validator, the MS SPF record is raising an error because of too many
DNS lookups.

I have to wonder if Microsoft is serious about using the spf1 record at microsoft.com for its intended purpose, or if this is some kind of ploy. The record at Microsoft's hotmail.com, which handles far more mail than microsoft.com, has no such problems.

hotmail.com. TXT
v=spf1 mx include:_spf-a.microsoft.com include:_spf-b.microsoft.com include:_spf-c.microsoft.com ~all

Each of the four included records has only ip4 mechanisms. The total authorization includes 39 ip4 blocks (2 redundant), and a total of 981504 IP addresses!!

One has to wonder why domains like hotmail.com authorize so many addresses to send using their name. I would think a better strategy, one which would exclude the zombies and earn them a better reputation, would be to authorize just the dozen or so machines they really need. Here are the results of compiling the SPF records from 15 of the largest sending domains.

comcast.net     No SPF Record
yahoo.com       No SPF Record
rr.com             3074
verizon.net         772