Re: [spf-discuss] PermError: Too many DNS lookups at Microsoft.com

2006-05-10 10:57:44
At 09:25 PM 5/9/2006 -0400, you wrote:

On 05/09/2006 21:23, David MacQuigg wrote:

> The interesting thing about this record is that there are so many isolated
> addresses in small clusters.  They could easily reduce this to a few blocks
> that would fit in one DNS record.

Sure, if that were their only concern.  Renumbering large IPv4 networks is
non-trivial.  What's the business case for it?

None at this time. There will have to be some gain to the sender's bottom line. Until then, efforts at persuasion, personal contacts, expanding the syntax to accommodate evermore sender preferences - nothing will get the kind of near-universal cooperation we want from senders. Without some benefit to senders, they will continue to say - controlling spam is just too difficult, go away, don't bother us.

My experience with small senders is that if you contact them directly, they will cooperate. Maybe that is because it is easier for them to list their few authorized sending addresses. Big senders on the other hand, won't even return your call. We need two things to get them on board - feedback from their own customers, and elimination of any barriers or excuses.

The feedback will come when we have an effective rating system, and everyone can see how they are doing in comparison to other similar senders. The elimination of barriers is a real challenge. Every time I think I've got everything worth doing, someone comes up with an even better suggestion. These suggestions are welcome, of course, but let's move quickly. I hope to have a complete authentication/reputation service running by the end of the summer. See http://www.open-mail.org/Registry.html for the current status of our project.

The Registry will remain neutral on the choice of authentication methods, but it looks to me like SPF will become the defacto standard.

-- Dave