Re: [spf-discuss] How can one alert domain admins of broken spf records

2006-06-08 05:41:49
On Thursday 08 June 2006 08:33, Ramprasad wrote:
I face sometimes, that SPF records of few domains are broken.
I was wondering if there was a generic way possible for bringing this to
the notice of the DNS administrators of that domain.

Stuart Gathman has a setup in pymilter he uses to send periodic DSNs.
Hopefully he'll jump in on this thread.

Today I noticed genuine mails from from hcl.in hitting SPF_NEUTRAL. I
know I should actually be rejecting the mails at the MTA but that is a
policy decision. My boss wont agree to that until "everyone" implements
SRS :-(

Unless you are rejecting mail that has no SPF record at all, you should NOT be
rejecting SPF_NEUTRAL mail.  Only FAIL and perhaps PERMERROR depending on
your local policy.

Thanks
Ram

BTW
What is the difference between SPF_SOFTFAIL SPF_NEUTRAL and SPF_HARDFAIL
or should I RTFM :-)

Yes, but TFM is long and complex.  Look here (BTW, there is no HARDFAIL in
SPF, only FAIL):

http://new.openspf.org/svn/project/specs/rfc4408.html#op-result

Scott K