Re: [spf-discuss] How can one alert domain admins of broken spf records

2006-06-08 07:38:55
On Thursday 08 June 2006 09:56, Ramprasad wrote:

Oh,
  I was going thru TFM ultimately , but it says SPF_NETUTRAL should be
treated as no record. But Spamassassin by default scores it 1.07. Should
I reduce the score then .. I think scoring such mail is against SPF
compliance. Wonder why it is done so in Spamassassin ?

SA is trying to solve a different problem.  Their scores are based on their
assessment of the spammyness associated with a particular rule.  The problem
(and this was discussed extensively on this list, search the archives if you
are really interested) is that this hurts the development and deployment of
the SPF protocol.

As an SA user, I understand what they are doing and why it works.  I also know
that their approach doesn't always get it right for me.

As an SPF developer, I wish they hadn't done it that way.

My recommendation is to change the score for SPF_NEUTRAL to .001 (so you can
see when the rule trips but it doesn't have a significant effect on message
filtering).  What would be nice is if SA would allow you to input a list of
domains that got a big score for SPF_NEUTRAL, but the rest didn't.  If I did
PERL programming, I might take a whack at that, but I don't.

Scott K