Re: [spf-discuss] How can one alert domain admins of broken spf records

2006-06-08 13:25:31
On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 03:51:19PM -0400, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:

You can do whatever you like with email, just don't blame SPF.

Exactly my policy.  And my rejections are never based solely on SPF
(not even SPF fail - because some senders have broken systems that
result in FAIL and won't fix them).

Unfortunately there seem to be installations in the wild that
do different.

For example, they pretend "?all" is a reason to reject and they claim
to the sender their mail is rejected "due to bad SPF policy".

If people want to reject on "?all" then that's fine but do not
even mention SPF in the reject reason.  It is NOT done by SPF.

But your statement is a good summary.  The only rejection recommended
by SPF based solely on SPF result is for FAIL.

And for temperror, permerror.  And do give out a decent rejection
reason, not just "due to SPF". (I'm not saying you do this; just in
general).

Alex