Re: [spf-discuss] Fwd: I am not spam! OK, so i am not much better. :(

2006-06-10 11:24:49
paddy wrote:
On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 03:08:45PM -0700,
Matthew(_dot_)van(_dot_)Eerde(_at_)hbinc(_dot_)com wrote:
Andy Mays (via Julian Mehnle) wrote:
Adelphia will let me access and send mail through their web portal, but it's a pain in the neck to use. They don't permit POP access to their SMTP servers from remote locations (oh I already said that, didn't I) but I really like using a real email client (Thunderbird) instead of web
mail.
I tell anyone who will listen that it's not a good idea to use an email account
provided by your ISP.  If you want to switch ISPs later, you're stuck with the
hassle of changing email addresses.

Yahoo mail or Windows Live mail (nee Hotmail) or GMail are all free, and the
WebMail plugin for Thunderbird works with all of them.

Granted that is the reason why there is little point in using your ISP as
the default option, but if Andy is using this for business, as he seems to say, then having his own domain would likely make sense.

It would be nice to be able to point to one of a few simple "best practice"
or "case study" pages, you know "home user", "small business" ... where
the ins and outs of a setup and it's rationale and requirements are laid
out, so that it would be easy to reply to Andy saying "take a look at
this, you likely want to be travelling in that direction".

Perhaps Andy's story could make a good case study ... :-)

Regards,
Paddy
Actually all of the above free email services are horrid for business use. We've had various issues with each over time. The latest of which is with Yahoo. Basically, yahoo addresses are being used to send spam and dictionary attacks. When they hit bad addresses on our mail servers, we bounce them like every mailserver should do. But, yahoo is placing us on a blocklist with some hours/days of blocking because we're bouncing too many emails back to them, normally either a bad account or a 'just disabled' account. This is a total breakage of email standards.

So, if you want unreliable email service.. use Yahoo.

If you are a business.. get on a hosting environment designed with businesses in mind.. not a cheapy/free hosting (non)service. Have the ability to 'talk' to someone who really knows how their mailsystem works. Have the ability to have your DNS handled by them and make sure they understand and can implement special features like SPF.

All of our clients are businesses and we provide many levels of mailservice from 0 filtering through a three tier spam filtering system. We also make positively for sure that each of our clients understands exactly what our filtering does and what options they have. In my opinion, this is the way email should be handled. There are way too many loose cannons out there... Comcast had a big blunder early this year (fairly easy to reach by phone and resolve) and Verizon (website creeper slow and I haven't found a phone number yet.. odd for a phone company?) has one going on right now. They never consider 'domain owner email' when putting things into place on their systems. Very very sad state of affairs. At present Verizon only has a form online to submit one IP address at a time. First, I'm not going through that for each of our IP addresses. Second, I'm not going to have to remember to go to Verizon to add an IP each time I build another server or give out another IP address to a domain. This is completely insane!

Sorry about my rant here... It's just that email has been broken by too many who are supposed to know what they are doing. The end user never seems to have been informed about it... of the other major providers, AOL and Earthlink on the other hand seem to be handling things the way they should. I'll not go into MSN as I've already written way too much.

Best,
John Hinton