[spf-discuss] Fwd: I am not spam! OK, so i am not much better. :(

2006-06-09 12:42:31

More feedback from the contact form.  This one isn't all that negative as
it looks at first.

- ----------  Forwarded Message  ----------
Subject: I am not spam! OK, so i am not much better. :(
Date: Friday, 9. June 2006 15:54
From: "Andy Mays" <andymays(_at_)adelphia(_dot_)net>
To: spf-council(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com

Topic: Other
Name: Andy Mays
I tried to send mail and got your bounce message.  The message is attached
below.

You should be aware that Adelphia, like many other ISPs, does not permit
mail to be sent through its servers from IP addresses that Adelphia does
not physically serve.  Sounds like a good security practice to me.

Adelphia is the ISP I use for my home office. However, when i am out of my
office, I have to send through a third party SMTP server.  Pacbell is not
particular about it, so I use theirs.  Yeah, I am rolling my eyes too.

Adelphia will let me access and send mail through their web portal, but
it's a pain in the neck to use.  They don't permit POP access to their
SMTP servers from remote locations (oh I already said that, didn't I) but
I really like using a real email client (Thunderbird) instead of web
mail.

Anyway, I know there's not a whole lot y'all can do about it - it would be
a pretty big deal if you changed the security paradigm just because of
me.  Thanks for offering the link back to your site in your bounce spam,
at least now I know why it's bouncing.

No need to reply to this, just thought y'all would enjoy a message from
someone who understands what is going on and is not all freaked out about
it.  In fact I am gonna crack my IT consultant over the head, he was
supposed to be getting our own anti-spam solution up and running and he
hasn't done it yet. I'll ask him to check yall out.

Andy Mays

The subject error:
- --------------------------------------
nospam.roxar.com rejected a message claiming to be from
andymays(_at_)adelphia(_dot_)net(_dot_)

nospam.roxar.com saw a message coming from the IP address 207.115.57.32
which is ylpvm01-ext.prodigy.net; the sender claimed to be
andymays(_at_)adelphia(_dot_)net(_dot_)

However, adelphia.net has announced using SPF that it does not send mail
out through 207.115.57.32. That is why the mail was rejected. If you are
andymays(_at_)adelphia(_dot_)net:

adelphia.net should have given you a way to send mail through an approved
server.

- --
Message was sent via the SPF website contact form
<http://new.openspf.org/Contact>