Re: [spf-discuss] Fwd: I am not spam! OK, so i am not much better. :(

2006-06-10 12:22:25
In <448B0E30(_dot_)2040201(_at_)ew3d(_dot_)com> John Hinton
<webmaster(_at_)ew3d(_dot_)com> writes:

Actually all of the above free email services are horrid for business
use. We've had various issues with each over time. The latest of which
is with Yahoo. Basically, yahoo addresses are being used to send spam
and dictionary attacks. When they hit bad addresses on our mail servers,
we bounce them like every mailserver should do. But, yahoo is placing us
on a blocklist with some hours/days of blocking because we're bouncing
too many emails back to them, normally either a bad account or a 'just
disabled' account. This is a total breakage of email standards.

Are you accepting the email and then generating a bounce?  Or, are you
rejecting the invalid email during the SMTP session?

If you are accepting and then bouncing, then you are creating
Unsolicited Bulk Email[*] and can be listed on spamcop's DNSBL along with
a lot of others systems.

-wayne

[*] Yes, email generated due to forged email is considered to be UBE
by many people.  This probably isn't the best place to discuss this
though.  Basically, it is unsolicited because the legitimate owner of
the email address didn't trigger the bounce.  It is bulk because all
spams are effectively the same, with only minor customization for the
target, and many bounces are generated.  And, of course, bounces are
email.  See for example, http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/329.html
If you want to convince folks like spamcop that their definition of
UBE should not include fall out from forged email, you should discuss
it on the spamcop forums.