Re: [spf-discuss] Fwd: Blackmail?

2006-06-17 06:48:23
I know this is a message forwarded from the contact form, but maybe some of these thoughts could be incorporated in the response.

You bounced an email that I sent through my regular email server,
mail.***.net -- then offer to fix it for a fee!

Actually, we cannot fix it.  We can only assist in fixing it.

What's wrong with this picture?

Nothing, because whoever placed the SPF record on the domain name you are using, is the one who decided you were doing something you shouldn't be doing by sending your email the way you did.

You should have some easy way HERE for me to tell SPF computers that this
is a legitimate server for my virtual domain.  Instead, I have to take
the time to go to the domain company and turn off SPF because I'm not
going to burn even more time screwing around with it and those are the
only options.

If you own the domain name, and you never placed an SPF record on your domain, then your provider must have done that for you, apparently without contacting you to find out how you send email. If you do not own the domain name, then you should speak with the people who own the domain and ask them what you should do.

If the SPF website were the repository where all SPF records were kept, then the real domain owners would not always have control over their own domains. Anybody could update the SPF for a domain, and it could be incorrect. In any event, that is not the way SPF was created. It was created so that only the people who own a domain, or those they designate, can make changes for that domain. This is why SPF is working.

If you do not understand how SPF works, then you should be speaking with your service provider. They should understand and be able to help you fix the problem.

Hope this helps,

Michael Breton