Re: [spf-discuss] SPF TXT Questions re Effectiveness

2006-11-20 10:42:01
On Mon, 20 Nov 2006, Scott Kitterman wrote:
On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 17:41:57 +0100 Alex van den Bogaerdt
<alex(_at_)ergens(_dot_)op(_dot_)het(_dot_)net> wrote:
On Sun, Nov 19, 2006 at 08:58:56PM -0500, George Hitz wrote:
Yes.  I wasn't thinking about two weeks when I wrote "eventually".

In my case, IIRC, it took about 2 months for my spammer to move on.  Based
on reports here and spf-help, it appears to me that some spammers are not
deterred by an SPF record, but most are.
Why does SPF exist: because it is lightweight and saves computing power.
If a message is a forgery, why waste time computing cookies or doing
blacklist lookups.

Yes and, as a side benefit, if SPF rejects impede the delivery of the 'blue
pill' messages, the sender of such messages may move on and pick on someone
else.

Saddly they still have not moved on from my domain.  I currently get
between 15,000 and 25,000 email per day.  But with SPF and spamassassin I
only see about 2-15 emails per day in my inbox.  It took a really long
time to get it this clean.  I still have to go through my probably-spam
folder ever day.  It gets about 300-1000 email per day.  about 10 % of
them are false positives.  I then send them to my /tmp/nospam and they get
reported correctly, thus training spamassassin better.  Any thing over
about 12.0 gets thrown away now.  It took about a year to find the right
point at which to throw things away.  It varies between 12.0 and 20.0
points for the first 3-4 years with spamassassin.  I still have to check
my procmail logs to make sure that nothing was thrown away that I really
needed.  spamassassin is finally getting the bounces and putting them were
they are reckonized.  When I do check the bounces they are always from
spammers using my domain.  I have not had one legit bounce in 3 years.
But I do not post that much to things other than mail lists and usenet.
So that the email addresses are valid that I send.  It took a bit to get
my postfix correct as well.

So I really understand the spammers not moving on.  I see it daily.

--
Boyd Gerber <gerberb(_at_)zenez(_dot_)com>
ZENEZ   1042 East Fort Union #135, Midvale Utah  84047