RE: [spf-discuss] Misuse of Return Address

2006-12-06 16:17:34
On Wed, 6 Dec 2006, David MacQuigg wrote:

We don't want to encourage misuse of the Return Address, but we have to
accept it because we cannot expect our clients to change their email
programs.  I would join with the leaders of the SPF community in
petitioning Eudora and perhaps others to change what appears to be a
simple, obvious problem, but I can't insist that our clients bear the
expense or inconvenience.  They will simply bow out.

It is not a problem with Eudora.  You can't use a MAIL FROM you are not
authorized to use.  That is what SPF is designed to prevent.  If you want
your clients to use box67.com as their MAIL FROM domain, you must
authorize them AND get their mail admin to let them use it - most companies
will block it as zombie mail.  Since you don't want to authorize the
world to use box67.com (?all), and you don't want their mail admin to have to
do anything, your only alternative is to provide SMTP AUTH on 587.  This allows
them to use box67.com as their MAIL FROM, and avoids the port 25 filtering
that their company mail admin OUGHT to have.