RE: [spf-discuss] Re: Misuse of Return Address

2006-12-08 11:36:22
Dick St.Peters wrote on Friday, December 08, 2006 10:31 AM -0600:

Seth Goodman writes:
Good point.  These paths contained the routing information so you
could determine who originated a message and who forwarded it.

Only if you believe what SMTP clients claim, and if you believe that,
you can reconstruct the path from the Received headers.  I doubt many
people on this list are prepared to put much faith in anything an SMTP
client says.

First of all, I'm not arguing to resurrect source routes.  It's still
worth pointing out that there is a difference, from the protocol
standpoint, between what is available from the envelope versus the
headers that become available later.  As far as trust, the one thing
that an SMTP server can believe is the IP address of the SMTP client it
is presently talking to.

--
Seth Goodman