Re: [spf-discuss] Re: SPF Setup

2007-01-23 16:01:00
Hi Jim,

This message is more appropriate for the spf-help list i think, but
i do not know if you subscribed to that list.

Jim Beauchamp wrote:
Thanks Julian,

Understood, and I would be happy to write down the steps I've used for
getting my SPF up and running.

We are using Apache Freebsd and our mail server is just SendMail.

For sendmail, you should use a milter that supports SPF. There are a
couple to choose from, you can find them on
http://www.openspf.org/Implementations. I'm using the one done by
Mark Kramer myself (I did modify it a bit for my specific setup, but
for a generic setup this is absolutely not necessary).

The milter takes care of checking spf records on incoming mail. You
also want to publish your own SPF records. How to do this depends on
your DNS software. You need to come up with a suitable spf record,
to do so it would help if you read through the specification or at
the very least go through http://www.openspf.org/SPF_Record_Syntax,
so that you know what it all means. You then put the record into
your DNS server (either as an SPF dns record, or as a TXT dns
record, or probably both as there are quite a number of 'legacy'
implementations out there that will only check the TXT record).
Again, how to do this depends on what you are using for your DNS.

Best,

Koen