RE: [spf-discuss] SPF basics commentary

2007-01-29 10:24:16
On Mon, 29 Jan 2007, Seth Goodman wrote:

I'm well aware that a number of incompetent ISP's don't delegate PTR for
static IP's.  In the developed world, the answer is to host your server
in a facility that delegates PTR, and that may not be your ISP.  Outside
the developed world this is not so practical, and those folks will
continue to have trouble getting their mail delivered to MTA's that
insist on matching PTR records.  SPF does not fix this problem because
it relies on forward DNS only.

I get the picture.  So IPv4 is officially unusable for us poor folk.
I guess I need to start figuring out how to set up IPv6 email, where
I can set my own rDNS.

How do I send from an IPv6 address if the MX records for the destination
domain list only IPv4 hosts?  Use a relay with SMTP AUTH?  Who offers
such a service?  All IPv4 SMTP relays I've seen don't prevent cross-customer
forgery (except maybe Kitterman's), so you are actually *more* likely to get
forged mail if you force me to go that route.  Seems counter productive.