RE: [spf-discuss] SPF basics commentary

2007-01-29 10:44:37
On Mon, 29 Jan 2007, David MacQuigg wrote:

As you say, the "IPname" is often not very useful.  It is assigned by the
network owner, and station operators within their network have little
control over it.  The HELO name *is* under the station operator's control,
and is much more useful for identifying and assigning reputation to the
party responsible for the transmission.

The picture I'm getting from the big ISP representatives here is that
they are more interested in whether the *IP* owner has authorized the
connection than in whether the domain owner has authorized it.  (The
IP owner being the ISP or a class C or bigger customer.)  They
seem to want IP based reputation only.

Does anyone know how to turn off the rDNS lookup in Sendmail?  Is an rDNS
lookup by default common in other mail programs?

Did a quick look, and didn't find it.  I *do* use rDNS for otherwise
unidentified connections.  It is not the use of rDNS I object to, but
making it requirement for email despite everything about the domain and SMTP
envelope being in order.  Again, that policy essentially means
IP reputation only - and only class C or bigger IP owners need apply.