Re: [spf-discuss] Softfail when spf-checking mails from this list, max_dns_mx=5

2007-03-14 05:47:00
On Wednesday 14 March 2007 08:42, Thomas Jacob wrote:
Probably this is something for the mailing list administrator
or possibly the libspf2 developers, but the problem
occurs with this list....

As mentioned in a post to spf-devel last week,
I sometimes seem to be getting softfails for mailing list posts
originating from v2.listbox.com. I now managed to trace this
down to the builtin maximum of 5 MX-Entries that
will be evaluated when one specifies "mx" in the
SPF recorde, there are however
6 mx entries for domain listbox.com.

Whenever the 6th MX (in the order that they are retrieved
from DNS) is the one that would "allow" the sender-IP
used, posts will be marked softfail (and thus be copied to my spambox).

So what's the problem here? The MX setup
of Listbox.com? My various libspf2-Installations? Puzzled....

In the RFC 4408 processing limits, up to 10 MX records should be checked.

The RFC 4408 limits are based on the libspf2 limits, but in some cases lipspf2
has lower limits.  This appears to be one of them.  IIRC libspf2 can be
configured to use different values than the defaults for the limits.  I would
recommend changing that limit to 10.

I would appreciate it if you would let us know how/if you are able to change
it.

Scott K