[spf-discuss] Re: TLDs

2007-03-25 12:49:36
Julian Mehnle wrote:

Why do you want to test _that_ case for crashes and not a million
other weird cases?

I don't know a million other weird cases, I know that one:  At the
moment "oemcomputer" is no TLD under ICANN's root, unlike "museum",
"aero", "arpa", "travel", "asia", "mobi", "coop", etc.  For a less
volatile test I'd replace "oemcomputer" by "invalid".

http://www.openspf.org/RFC_4408/Errata#permerror-invalid-domains
Who proposed that one??

Dunno, thought it was you.

v=spf1 cannot be changed retroactively like this.

Implementations have to do something with an invalid <target-name>,
"ignore, no match, move on" is another possibility.

There's yet no problem statement for your case,
It's not _my_ case.  Whose is it really?

It's a Wiki, it has an edit history, and whoever added it likely
tried to track one of those convoluted test suite threads.  If it's
bogus we can throw it out.

confused developers aren't a good enough justification for
specifying _new_ behavior in v=spf1.  Unspecifiedness is a bug
only when it harms interoperability.  Is this the case here?

If some implementations can handle a:%{h} for an existing A record
for say "museum", others treat it as "ignore, no match, move on",
and some throw PermError, then it obviously harms interoperability.

Frank