Re: [spf-discuss] Re: TENBOX/E as an AUTH type

2007-04-06 15:29:00
(Ignore previous message -- it was a slip of a key...)

On Fri, 6 Apr 2007, Frank Ellermann wrote:
I've never heard of any v=tenbox1 records.  What's the difference from
v=spf1 TXT or SPF records ?  But yes, I've missed that step - you talk
about it as if a draft exists, please post an URL if that's the case.

There's no draft.

It would be a similar concept to "v=spf2.0/pra" -- nearly identical
procedure to derive a result from a IP-address/email-address tuple, but
different implications of the result.

I suggested seperate "v=tenbox1" records because the set of computers
that send on forwarded messages may not be the same as the set of
computers authorized to send ordinary mail from a given domain.

For example, if "example.org" is a forwarding service, they might have a
very lax SPF record so that their customers are not forced to use them as
a smarthost, but they would want a tight TENBOX record so that customers
cannot take advantage of the "super whitelisting" to spam each other.

However, opinion on the list seems to be overwhelmingly in favor of
folding the extra meaning into the ordinary "v=spf1" records.  I suppose
it might be doable if we specify that only "PASS" is good enough for
TENBOX, since such domains will probably use "?all"...

---- Michael Deutschmann <michael(_at_)talamasca(_dot_)ocis(_dot_)net>