Re: [spf-discuss] Yet another attempt to fix forwarding

2008-02-06 17:58:09
At 10:08 PM 2/5/2008 -0800, Michael Deutschmann wrote:

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008, David MacQuigg wrote:
After hearing that, they will eventually modify their whitelisting
option, so it works with a domain name, not necessarily a full address.

That's not the right direction.

I don't understand what you mean.  What I was talking about is a very
[...]
yahoo.com.

Right direction -- extend things so that the end-user can add the
forwarding input address to their whitelist and things will Just Work.
Only SWK-SPF does this.

Wrong direction -- extend things so that the whitelist can hold
non-email-address tokens, like hostnames from rDNS or HELO.  This is
dangerous because whitelist entries to support a given forward may have no
obvious connection to the forwarding, tempting lusers to "garbage collect"
them out of their lists.

OK, I understand you mean "right direction" as "right thing to do".  I read it
as something to do with the direction of mail flow.  English is a terrible
language when we need clear, unambiguous communication! :>(

I'm still not understanding something.  Maybe it's what problem are we trying
to solve.  I'm thinking about Problem S, which I would state even more
succinctly as "Forwarder not recognized by downstream Agent".  The solution I
suggested (MDA allowing the Recipient to whitelist the Forwarder's domain)
works for me as a Recipient, but may not be a good solution in all situations.

          |-------- Recipient's Network ---------|
     /
--> / --> Receiver/Forwarder ~~> MDA ==> Recipient
   /
 Border

My MDA is yahoo.com.  They allow me to whitelist individual Senders (e.g.
tom(_at_)aol(_dot_)com), but not all mail coming from box67.com (my Forwarder).
 I have accomplished the desired result by setting up a private account at
yahoo.com, and turning OFF all spam filtering on that account.  As long as I
can keep the address of my private account secret, it's as good as a secure
channel from my Forwarder to my MDA.

What situation are you thinking of?

-- Dave