Re: [spf-discuss] Statement of Problems and Requirements (Last Call)

2008-02-09 12:35:12
On Saturday 09 February 2008 13:41, David MacQuigg wrote:
At 11:59 PM 2/6/2008 -0500, Scott K wrote:
Are we calling forwarders, forwarders yet or are you still changing
existing terminology?

I put the following at the top of the page at
http://open-mail.org/MHSmodel.html '''
The terminology proposed here differs from
<http://ece.arizona.edu/%7Eedatools/home/email/Email_Authentication.htm>com
mon usage in that we are making a distinction between "Forwarding" and other
kinds of relaying.  Here a "Forwarder" is an Agent working on the
Recipient's side of the Border.  Agents on the Sender's side may be called
"Transmitters", or just Sender's relays.

See <http://open-mail.org/Forwarding.html>Forwarding for more discussion of
typical problems in Mail Handling Systems. See
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-crocker-email-arch-09>Internet Mail
Architecture and this <http://openspf.org/Community/Glossary>glossary for
more general terminology. '''

We should also make it clear in any discussion with someone outside the SPF
community, that we are using the term "forwarding" in a more limited way
than they might understand.  This will avoid problems when we say things
like "all forwarders should re-write the Return Address", and they think we
are talking about a Transmitter.

Any approach that takes the view "We are using words you are used to, but to
mean different things." is doomed to fail.  Looking back, it was the new term
for open relay I objected to before.

Where there is existing, understood terminology use it.  If you need to add an
additional disctinction, add it, don't change it (e.g. open-relay operator
more clearly means what I think whatever it was I complained about last
time).  If you can't do that, then make up an entirely different term.  Don't
try and overload existing ones.

Scott K