Re: [spf-discuss] Statement of Problems and Requirements (Last Call)

2008-02-09 13:30:59
Scott,

At 12:33 PM 2/9/2008, you wrote:
On Saturday 09 February 2008 13:41, David MacQuigg wrote:
> At 11:59 PM 2/6/2008 -0500, Scott K wrote:
> >Are we calling forwarders, forwarders yet or are you still changing
> > existing terminology?
.. snip ..

> We should also make it clear in any discussion with someone outside the SPF
> community, that we are using the term "forwarding" in a more limited way
> than they might understand.  This will avoid problems when we say things
> like "all forwarders should re-write the Return Address", and they think we
> are talking about a Transmitter.

Any approach that takes the view "We are using words you are used to, but to
mean different things." is doomed to fail.  Looking back, it was the new term
for open relay I objected to before.

I appreciate the spirit of your statement and tend to agree with it, but I don't think that is what Dave is doing or talking about here.

He appears to want to take the broad term "open relay" and subset the group of acceptable forwarders to separate what some argue are the good purposes of an "open relay" in order to cement definitions that we can work with as a group which focus on specific problems that can then be addressed with a common lexicon for discussion.

For that I'm quite open to see this process run its course. As I watch this progress, I get the feeling we are zeroing in on both the issues that create objections to SPF by some and possibly might get to some acceptable answers which apply to the potential SPF adopters out there who have concerns regarding the still vague or non-existent answers to these questions.

If we can take and address the questions that are left hanging out there by some to create FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt) about SPF and answer them acceptably to the vast majority of those who may still have concerns based upon the FUD out there, then perhaps we get more SPF adopters.

This seems a simple and fairly direct approach to problem solving and so I think it appropriate to give Dave the opportunity to let this process play out.

After we have gone through the process, we can revisit the terminology, if needed.

Where there is existing, understood terminology use it. If you need to add an
additional disctinction, add it, don't change it (e.g. open-relay operator
more clearly means what I think whatever it was I complained about last
time).  If you can't do that, then make up an entirely different term.  Don't
try and overload existing ones.

Scott K

Best,

AlanM