Re: [spf-discuss] SPF on HELO - take 2

2009-01-12 11:57:28
At 10:15 AM 1/12/2009 -0500, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009, David MacQuigg wrote:

Generally, the HELO domain is different from the MAIL FROM domain, so there
is no conflict.

example.com             TXT "v=spf1 mx -all"
mx1.example.com         TXT "v=spf1 a -all"
mx2.example.com         TXT "v=spf1 a -all"

We need a way to use *one record* for both the MAIL FROM and HELO checks.
Very few domains publish SPF records for each and every HELO name.  I don't
believe "evangelism" will ever change that.

That is trivial too.  You can pick any name you wish for HELO, including
a domain the same as MAIL FROM.

I would expect some resistance to this from the IETF.  RFRC-5321 (see below)
seems to say that the name has to be specific to one client machine.  I have
also heard some discussion (I can't recall where), in which a large ESP was
criticized for putting only its domain name in the HELO command.

Even if we got all transmitters to change their HELO names, we would still have
a problem with re-interpretation of the SPF record.  Can we ignore ?all and
REJECT connections without the domain owner's explicit permission?

-- Dave

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5321#page-32

4.1.1.1.  Extended HELLO (EHLO) or HELLO (HELO)

   These commands are used to identify the SMTP client to the SMTP
   server.  The argument clause contains the fully-qualified domain name
   of the SMTP client, if one is available.  In situations in which the
   SMTP client system does not have a meaningful domain name (e.g., when
   its address is dynamically allocated and no reverse mapping record is
   available), the client SHOULD send an address literal (see
   <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5321#section-4.1.3>Section 4.1.3).