Re[2]: [spf-discuss] SPF on HELO - take 2

2009-01-12 12:21:58
I would expect some resistance to this from the IETF. RFRC-5321 (see
below)  seems  to say that the name has to be specific to one client
machine.  I  have also heard some discussion (I can't recall where),
in which a large ESP was criticized for putting only its domain name
in the HELO command.

It's blatantly inappropriate to use the base domain as the HELO unless
there   is   a   corresponding  A  record  that  points  back  to  the
transmitters's IP (and the PTR for that IP matches the HELO). That is,
this  setup  is  only  useful for SMB shops that have a single machine
serving as webserver and mailserver.

Regardless  of  how many receivers enforce it, any divergence from the
PTR-HELO-A "roundtrip" should not be encouraged.

--Sandy