Re: [spf-discuss] Feature list for SPFv3

2009-07-17 14:49:57
On Fri, 17 Jul 2009, Alessandro Vesely wrote:

Scott Kitterman wrote:
Personally I'm more interested in getting SPF v 1 standardized and out of
experimental status.  I suspect we can work on both in parallel as long as
we are clear to keep them cleanly separated.

The key distinction as I see it is SPF v 1 updates MUST be backwards
compatible, while SPF v 3 has more freedom to innovate.

IMHO, v3 MUST be backward compatible.

V3 is automatically backward compatible by virtue of being tagged with "v=spf3"
(or anything other than "v=spf1").

There are two tasks.

1. The most important, and most boring, is to shepherd SPF1 to a
non-experimental RFC.  This involves editing to incorporate errata, and
clarifying things like "please remember to whitelist your forwarders, or at
least your own secondary MXes, when checking SPF, or at least don't reject if
your don't", but otherwise making no changes.  (Of course, the RFC shouldn't
dictate receiver policy, and the wording should be more like "if the email is
relayed by an MTA not controlled by the sender, e.g. forwarders and MXes, the
SPF result will not reflect the senders intention".)

2. The second task, which is more fun, but not needed for some time is to
draw up the successor (v3).  Of course, the successor will be tagged.
One tricky issue for the v3 RFC to specify is what to do when v1 and v3
are both specified and give different results.  (I would say that v3
should always override v1 when present.)  When a somewhat stable v3 takes
shape, it can be deployed by enthusiasts without an RFC (but with a draft rfc
on openspf.org). After it is really stable (years), a new RFC can be
submitted.