Re: [spf-discuss] Feature list for SPFv3

2009-07-20 09:45:25
Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
IMO, no attempt should be made to deploy a v3 until v1 has an official
RFC.

I'm no expert on standardization practices, but I read on rfc 2026 that "A Proposed Standard specification [...] has resolved known design choices", and the IESG Note indeed expresses concern about SPF and SenderID not being conciliable, as though the two approaches typify the corresponding design choices. My understanding is that we shall resolve that conflict before we get on the standards track. And we need "spf3" for that.

At any rate, we'll need an AD to sponsor the process, and she or he will hopefully also provide advice on what changes would preclude which maturity level.

But now is the time to start listing things we wish we could
fix in v1 for the eventual v3.

+1

One thing we can do for an official v1 RFC, is clarify things
like SPF-V vs SPF-G.

We cannot prescribe a policy, but describing valid alternatives should be just fine.