[spf-discuss] Feature list for SPFv3

2009-07-16 16:48:46
I propose to create a wiki page for features people think they might want
in SPFv3 - like the Feature list for the Fedora project.  Each feature
would have its own page, with a name, summary, description, justification,
use cases, etc.

I keep meaning to write up a new RFC with all the new features, but that
is more daunting.  I think debating the merits of each feature
independently until there is consensus on the feature list will greatly
help with creating the next RFC version.

I do have write permission on the Wiki, but I'll create an index page and
pages for my favorite v3 features (helo and not) in the public portion
first to try out the idea.  Note that "you can do it in v1" is not a
reason to exclude a feature if the feature does it in a simpler fashion or
with less DNS bytes and has use cases that are likely to be popular.

BTW, v3 should use SPF (type 99) RRs exclusively.  That is non-optional I
think.  A typical library would check for SPFv3 as SPF, and fall back to
checking for SPFv1 as TXT.  There is still likely to be a chicken and egg
problem with v3 adoption - but unlike using SPF instead of TXT for the
same old v1 RRs, there is no downside to putting v3 in SPF RRs only.