Re: [spf-discuss] Feature list for SPFv3

2009-07-20 14:08:05
Scott Kitterman wrote:
My understanding is that we shall resolve that conflict before we get on the standards track. And we need "spf3" for that.

Not at all (I'm not an expert either, but this is my guess). If you look at the Sender ID RFCs (particulary, IIRC, the one that defines PRA), there is an additional note from the IESG about Sender ID. These have not been resolved.

The four of them look exactly like one another (except for the "aParticipants"). However, the paragraph about Resent-* headers is for SenderID only.

There has been a proposal to move both the SPF and Sender ID RFCs to historic status since they are 'superceded' by DKIM. I objected to this for SPF. No one objected about Sender ID.

I'm not sure how DKIM supersedes SPF. For example, if I wanted to send feedback loop reports for failed DKIM verification, I would only bother SPF-valid senders.

I think Sender ID should be transitioned to historic and the conflict resolved that way. We cannot afford to require all SPF records to be republished as we move forward.

I agree republishing shouldn't be a requirement. I also agree SenderID should be transitioned to historic. However, it is not clear to me if a new RFC can pretend that SenderID never existed, and avoid to even mention it, but at the same time ostentatiously point an invisible finger to the "Category: Historic" field of the relevant SenderID's RFCs for the readers to take note.

Even hotmail.com's TXT records start with "v=spf1", and I wonder if they mean they should be interpreted as "spf2.0/mfrom,pra". What should newcomers publish? How are existing records to be interpreted? As a new RFC oughts to be part of the solution, it should probably mention "spf2.0" and what is the correct record selection and interpretation in the various cases. Shouldn't it?

We may be able to do that without introducing yet another version. Will it be much simpler that way? And how about the transition to SPF RRs exclusively? In case the new RFC will be a Proposed or Draft Standard, we will have to stick to that text for an eventual Full Standard.