Re: [spf-discuss] How reliable is it to block/reject on SPF fail?

2009-11-30 14:55:19
On Mon, 30 Nov 2009, Ian Eiloart wrote:

So, you'd probably want these domains hosted on some other mail server. Google
hosts my domain for free - I just pay the registration cost. I have a virtual
host, but can't be bothered to run my own mail server on it.

While this might be ok for a casual user, I don't want my mail traversing
google or any other provider in plaintext.  I suppose I could use S/MIME
or GPG, but TLS is no effort privacy measure that doesn't involve trying to
tell non-geek correspondents how to create a key pair.  When a
correspondent has a small office mail server supporting TLS, adequate privacy
is automatic.

I'm not thinking about casual "home" users, but about "small business" users
with a static IP.  This includes "home office" users with a static IP.  My
biggest email client has a /27 block and servers in his basement (blocks
400,000 forged emails a day to himself and his customers as well as serving
web pages).

There are commercial products that are "plug and play" email appliances.
Unfortunately, the most popular ones have serious RFC and general
stupidity issues (e.g. replying to DSNs, sending "you have a virus"
replies to emails they have already identified as sent by a virus, invalid
HELO name, etc, etc).