Re: [spf-discuss] mail users with multiple identities

2010-01-20 11:51:55
On 20-Jan-10, at 11:21 AM, Barry Say wrote:

Hi All,

I am new to this list having just been bitten by an SPF rejection problem on a mail list I run.

Background. I am responsible for two hosting accounts on blackfoot.co.uk who are a domain hosting company (no broadband or dial up) on account is PERSONAL and the other I administer on behalf of an ORGANISATION. Blackfoot is rolling out SPF checking for incoming mail and this is installed on the ORGANISATION server but not on the PERSONAL server. I intend to publish SPF records for my domains but there is a point I would like clarified before I do something really stupid.

--------------------------------

Officers of the ORGANISATION have addresses such as Chairman(_at_)organisation(_dot_)org(_dot_)uk . Some of the more adept officers have multiple identities on on their mailers so that they can send mail as fred(_at_)isp(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk or Chairman(_at_)organisation(_dot_)org(_dot_)uk . They can pick up mail by IMAP or POP3 from the appropriate servers but their mail will go out via mail.isp.co.uk (or some similar service).

So if I publish SPF records for ORGANISATION and fred sends a message using his chairman identity via mail.isp.co.uk, would that fail the SPF test?

I hope that makes sense

Barry

<RANT>

I wish people would STOP OBFUSCATING DOMIAN NAMES. We can't help you properly when you do that! Trying to hide information that is for all intents and purposes PUBLIC INFORMATION only serves to frustrate the people who are trying to help you.

</RANT>

Now to the question at hand, it depends! (Of course, if we knew what 'organisation.org.uk' and 'isp.co.uk' really were we could probably provide a more concise answer.)

If both 'organisation.org.uk' and 'isp.co.uk' use the same outgoing mail server(s) then they can publish the same SPF policy and this is a non-issue.

If 'organisation.org.uk' and 'isp.co.uk' use different outgoing mail servers then you have basically two choices.

Choice 1: (easier solution)
Publish SPF policies for each domain that cover the IP address ranges of all outgoing servers for both 'organisation.org.uk' and 'isp.co.uk'

Choice 1: (can be complicated)
Set up client mail applications to only send mail from the appropriate mail server for each domain. So, if mail gets sent with the return adress from 'Chairman(_at_)organisation(_dot_)org(_dot_)uk' it will only be relayed through the server(s) that handle mail for 'organisation.org.uk'. and then do the same for mail originating from '@isp.co.uk'.

--
Gino Cerullo

Pixel Point Studios
21 Chesham Drive