Re: [spf-discuss] mail users with multiple identities

2010-01-20 14:34:04
First, thanks for giving us real domain names to work with.

On 20-Jan-10, at 2:43 PM, Barry Say wrote:

The problem I encountered was that the user had changed his ISP provider but is still using his old email address. So that an e-mail apparently from tiscali.co.uk is coming from a bt.com server. Truly an SPF failure and entirely beyond my control.

Interesting! If he changed ISP and is using his old email address how is he getting his email replies to that old address? Hmmmm!

Anyway, yes since 'tiscali.co.uk' publishes an SPF policy (with -all no less) then any mail coming from '@tiscali.co.uk' will surely fail if it originates from a 'bt.com' mail server.

I can indeed find out the mail servers which are being used to send northumbrianpipers.org.uk e-mails and add them to my SPF records. That was what I had thought of doing, but I wondered if there was a simpler way.

Well, since 'northumbrianpipers.org.uk' does not publish an SPF policy, you can't simply use an 'include' which would have made things easier. You'll have to contact them instead.

I conclude that there is a real difficulty on the horizon as SPF rolls out. Until now, I for one haven't really cared which smtp server I used for outgoing mail. With multiple e-mail accounts, I have simply used the smtp server over which I have most control. I now find that both the e-mail programs I use, Thunderbird and Pegasus now change their SMTP settings with identity and I am just trying to get a working outlook express to see how that works (sigh!)

We haven't lived in that 'carefree' world for a few years now. Unfortunately, that's the world we live in. A perfectly good, if not completely secure, email system gets abused my criminals and we have to jump through hoops to work around it's faults.

You seem to be on the right track and you've been given enough info to figure out a solution that works for you and your users so all I can add is good luck, we feel your pain.

Thanks a lot

Barry

--
Gino Cerullo