xsl-list

RE: Locating Things Relative to Location of Style Sheet

2002-12-06 08:21:02
At 2002-12-06 07:03 -0800, Robert Koberg wrote:
I just tried to google 'xpath 2 relax ng schema' and did not come up with
anything meaningfull, so i would like to display my ignorance and ask - why use
W3C Shema? I assume becuase RNG came out later. Is there any interoperability
between the two different schema languages(?) in XPath 2? If I like RNG, will I
be able to use that in/for/with(?) XPath2?

My understanding is "no" because XPath 2 is based on the W3C Schema PSVI, not XML. I could be wrong but that is what I am led to believe.

I guess, I mean why use W3 Schema when Relax NG is so nice, simple, clean and
well documented? I like the idea of using schemas in XSL/XPath, but not if it is
W3C Schema.

Me too ... I've given up all of my DTDs and am now exclusively using RELAX-NG Schemas and haven't written a single W3C Schema for myself because there are too many special case rules and gotchas in W3C Schema to keep track of. And, my modeling requirements are such that W3C Schema isn't rich enough to express the co-occurrence constraints I need. My application and stylesheet development has been greatly simplified by expressing all of my modeling constraints in RELAX-NG and removing any constraint detection or contingencies from my application and stylesheet development ... it is a big load off the mind!

If XPath 2 were based on XML and not on W3C Schema, then we could use it with RELAX-NG because no schema model would have any impact on the XPath 2 information. If there were a W3C Schema thingy to present PSVI information to XPath users, I would think the W3C Schema compatibility of RELAX-NG could selectively choose to use it ... or maybe a RELAX-NG thingy would be needed as a lens with which to view the XPath 2 data model.

Part 5 of DSDL ISO/IEC 19757 http://dsdl.org Document Schema Definition Languages focuses is on data types, and RELAX-NG is part 2 of DSDL, so perhaps this thingy will come out of DSDL ... our next project meeting starts tomorrow morning in Baltimore at XML'2002.

............... Ken

--
Upcoming hands-on in-depth XSLT/XPath and/or XSL-FO:
-                             North America:  Feb 3 - Feb 7,2003

G. Ken Holman               mailto:gkholman(_at_)CraneSoftwrights(_dot_)com
Crane Softwrights Ltd.        http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/
Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0  +1(613)489-0999 (F:-0995)
ISBN 0-13-065196-6                     Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                             Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-10-1             Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
Next conference training:                    2002-12-08,03-03,06