xsl-list

Re: Re: The Perils of Sudden Type-Safety in XPath 2.0

2003-02-19 14:56:40

One of the critiques about XSLT 1.0 is that it's too verbose.
From what I see about XSLT 2.0, transformations written in it
may well have to be twice as verbose as their XSLT 1.0 counterpart.

No, my experience so far is that stylesheets that do no significant
computation are essentially unchanged, while those that do a lot of
computation can become dramatically smaller, because of features like
conditional expressions in XPath and the availability of xsl:function,
as well as the much richer built-in function library.

Maybe it is too early for general observations. I was just comparing:

   <xsl:value-of select="string-pad('!', @risk * @severity)" />

with

   <xsl:value-of select="string-pad('!', xs:integer(@risk * @severity))" />

and

  <xsl:variable name="danger" select="@risk * @severity"/>

with

 <xsl:variable name="danger">
    <xsl:value-of select="@risk * @severity" />
  </xsl:variable>

and

   <xsl:value-of select="string-pad('!', @risk * @severity)" />

with

  <xsl:variable name="danger">
    <xsl:value-of select="@risk * @severity" />
  </xsl:variable>
  <xsl:value-of select="string-pad('!', $danger)" />

=====
Cheers,

Dimitre Novatchev.