xsl-list

RE: XPath: excluding a descendant

2003-09-02 05:57:57
why not? It appears to do exactly what you want. Did you try it?

Well, I did, but probably I am doing it wrong... In your earlier message, you
wrote:

just have
<xsl:apply-templates select="abcd:Gathering"/>
together with a template
<xsl:template match="LongitudeDecimal"/>
that does nothing on thse elements.
then when you do want to process the elements do (according to taste)

<xsl:apply-templates
abcd:Gathering/GatheringSite/SiteCoordinates/LongitudeDecimal"
mode="somemode"/>

together with some templates in somemode to do whatever needs doing or
if you don't want a new mode do

<xsl:apply-templates
abcd:Gathering/GatheringSite/SiteCoordinates/LongitudeDecimal/node()"
/>

so you process the children of LongitudeDecimal.

So I do have something very simple like
<xsl:template match="/">
(...)
    <xsl:apply-templates select="abcd:Gathering"/>
(...)
<xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="LongitudeDecimal">
    <!-- do nothing -->
</xsl:template>

There are no children to LongitudeDecimal, so I would not have to process them.
But what I still don't understand is the rest of it: how do I apply the
LongitudeDecimal-template to Gathering, so that the "empty" template rule
overrules the output I get from just calling the Gathering node?