xsl-list

RE: XPath: excluding a descendant

2003-09-02 04:19:53
Hello David and Michael,

thanks for your answers and sorry for my bad explanation! I am not sure if the
empty template is really the way to go, though, because the "everything else"
is my problem. To illustrate this a bit better: from the XML fragment below, I
want to create some "dump" output like "6.5.1995 Smith somedescription Ireland
100.0" (just some example), but excluding the "29.16" of <LongitudeDecimal>.
All of the elements are in the same namespace. So what I am casting around for
is how to form the predicate in a way that I get any data from <Gathering> and
below, except for that one.
I had been thinking that
<xsl:apply-templates
select="abcd:Gathering[not(.//*[self::abcd:LongitudeDecimal])]"/>
would be the way to go; but this snipps all the content from the <Site> node
and below as soon as a <LongitudeDecimal> exists (which is optional), not just
the <LongitudeDecimal> element itself. I guess this is something really stupid,
but I don't seem to be able to solve it. Thanks for your patience!

Andrea

<TopNode>
 <aLotOfStuff>
        <...>
 </aLotOfStuff>
 <Gathering>
   <GatheringDate>
     <DateText>6.5.1995</DateText>
   </GatheringDate>
   <Collectors>
      <Collector>
         <CollectorText>Smith</CollectorText>
      </Collector>
   </Collectors>
   <Site>
      <LocalityText>some description</LocalityText>
      <Country>
          <CountryName>Ireland</CountryName>
      </Country>
        <CoordinateSets>
        <Coordinates>
          <LatLong>
              <LongitudeDecimal>29.16</LongitudeDecimal>
          </LatLong>
        </Coordinates>
      </CoordinateSets>
      <Altitude>100.0</Altitude>