xsl-list

Re: saxon command line error "2>error.txt"

2004-05-20 10:58:42
Should I change the command line for Windows 95? What alternatives do
I have?

[this should be one line without breaks]
c:\>saxon.exe -l -w0 -o archivista_x.xml archivista.xml v1v2002_4.xsl
"replace=v1v2002_4" 2>error.txt

Tom,
The option I was speaking of was for SAXON.

I don't think I tried using the & yet in the command line on my
Windows 95. thanks.

Mike,

I think your notes are sending mixed information about what trouble
you are having.  In the first quote mentioned above, it looked to me
like you were indicating you were opening a terminal window and typing
in "saxon.exe ..." and so forth.  I think Tom perhaps made the same
assumption as me, and so looked at the command.exe (or whatever it's
called these days) documentation.

If in fact you are running this from something other than a terminal
window, and Windows is architected such that saxon.exe would need to
support the '2> file' syntax directly instead of leaving it to command.exe
or something (like in Unix, every shell script is handled by the shell
and so will handle stdio/stderr redirection if the proper syntax appears),
perhaps putting together a batch file, e.g. runsaxon.bat, holding:

c:\saxon.exe -l -w0 -o archivista_x.xml archivista.xml v1v2002_4.xsl
"replace=v1v2002_4"

and then running "runsaxon.bat 2> error.txt" might work?

Or perhaps prefixing the command line with command.exe

c:\command.exe c:\saxon.exe  -l -w0 -o archivista_x.xml archivista.xml
v1v2002_4.xsl "replace=v1v2002_4" 2>error.txt

These are just guesses on my part, so my apologies if they are ill
founded.

p.s. What list do people use when they have implementation questions?

I don't think the guidelines I've read indicate it's a problem to asking
about XSL implementations, though naturally one is expected to read
documentation.  I think Michael Kay simply stated that he did not know
how to help you -- understandable if he doesn't run Windows 95 himself.
As to adding in an error file parameter, since Saxon is open source you
could probably go about adding it if it'd make your life easier.

Jim