xsl-list

RE: saxon command line error "2>error.txt"

2004-05-20 07:30:45
Hey Mike,

I question the relevance in the issues with Windows 95 in that I know
very few people, developers especially, that are sitting on top of a
Win95 box.  Now I do understand that there is still an installed based
of Windows 95 users out there but what does this fact have to do with
the ability to get the errors found during testing output to a text file
when running on top of Windows 95?  Is this functionality you want to
provide within an application you are creating where having access to
these errors will be crucial in the support of this product?

The reason I bring this up is because Pieter Siegers and myself have
just begun the first stage of porting Saxon 7.9.x over to .NET.
Understanding real world issues with the current Saxon implementation
will help us in potentially fixing some of these issues before the
initial code base is released.  But, given the fact that Windows 95 will
not run a .NET app, even taking the CLR out of the equation, this
particular issue is something that would get ignored anyway.

None the less, can you please explain the need for Saxon to have the
ability to output errors to a .txt file when it is running on a Win95
box?  I understand the need and desire to reach out to as many customers
as possible with any and every product you might develop.  But there
does come a point in time where the cost of developing for and
supporting a particular segment of your potential market goes beyond ANY
profit that could be realized from this same group.

Anyway, if you feel there is something that Pieter and I need to look
for in our port to .NET please let us know.

Thanks!