xsl-list

RE: killing xslt

2004-05-17 18:55:38
Hey Pieter (and the rest of the XSL-List community),

My spam filter seems to kill the craziest of correspondence.  That will
be changing as I am bringing all of my email servers in-house and will
be using a much more reliable email server and spam softwar.  You can
try m.davidATmdptwsDOTcom but to ensure you get through use
mdptwsATmsnDOTcom

I sent this reply back through the list because there is some feedback
that I feel we need to get from the group regarding whether or not this
project should go as far as trying to both port Saxon in its current
state while trying to make the project be 100% XSLT 2.0 compliant by
adding the Schema support as well.  I realize this is getting a bit
ahead of things but I feel it's a very important issue that I think we
should have an answer to before we get so far into the project that we
forget to come back to the list to discuss this particular issue.

My reasoning for taking a cautious approach is simple. If I understand
correctly there is going to be a commercial release of Saxon 7.9.x that
will include the Schema support of the XSLT 2.0 spec. As such, out of
respect to Michael Kay and the simple fact that this is his brainchild,
his blood, his sweat, and his tears of many, many, combined years I
think we owe it to him to get his nod of approval before moving forward
with taking it to that level. I hate to get to far ahead of myself and
worry about things that are most likely several months (at very least)
down the road but I think its something that needs to be brought up in
the beginning so that we can get some feedback as to whether this is an
area that should be left alone allowing those who are creating the
commercial version of Saxon (I am assuming this is something that
Michael will be a part or has already given his blessing on) in its
current Java state to also be given the courtesy of converting the .NET
port into a commercial version that has the Schema support.

***Thoughts from the rest of the group members?***

Again, maybe Im just being over cautious but I would rather be over
cautious than make the mistake of not getting permission to extend this
project into areas that have obviously already been ear marked for a
commercial version of the Java source code and therefore something that
was not intended to be a part of the open source project.

To once again look for additional support, anyone else interested in
helping out with this project please contact Pieter at
mailATpietsiegDOTcom.

I should also point out that Dave Pawson offered to post a "call for
effort" on his highly visited/read xsl-faq which would be a tremendous
way to rally further support especially as the project gets into the
fine tuning and massaging of the code base to take advantage of the .NET
platform and the differences it has between the Java platform.  As you
said it would be lovely to get absolute precision from the Beta of
version 3 of the Java to C#/.NET conversion tool but highly unlikely and
therefore this will require the artisan style craftsmanship of several
developers if we want to get a release out to the public within a timely
manner.

*** To Dave Pawson: Is this offer still valid?  If so then I will leave
it up to Pieter to make contact with you regarding the details.

In that the only other response regarding what domain name to use has
come from Pieter (just got your email Pieter, will be responding
shortly) it has been decided to utilize http://www.X2X2X.org which,
again, represents XSLT 2.0, XPath 2.0, and XQuery and is meant to
represent the fact that all three of these technologies have there place
in the transformation and querying of XML data (two VERY different
things which should never be mistaken as being indistinguishable from
each other... one Queries XML data using SQL like syntax which in turn
returns a subset of the XML data to then be further processed... and one
way to process it would be to transform it into something else, like
HTML to be read in a browser.  Any questions? (yes, that was meant to be
a smart mouth comment but apparently not everyone playing the game
understands that there is a difference so I thought it best to clarify
for their benefit ;) It's all about the love baby... all about the love
:D Can you feel it? :))))

Alright, moving on... Ive set up email aliases for this domain but they
wont be live until the MX records get updated to the zone file records
across the net so I will hold off and publish these to the list when
they are live and available for general use.

Best regards to all!

<M:D/>