xsl-list

RE: killing xslt

2004-05-17 09:28:28
Great! :-) That makes two on the team sofar. The call for more help is still
open (mail(_at_)pietsieg(_dot_)com).

M. David, please restate your email as I tried to mail you off this list as
this is really OT, but the message couldn't be delivered. Tried twice. I
apoligize.

Cheers,
<prs/>

-----Original Message-----
From: M. David Peterson [mailto:m(_dot_)david(_at_)mdptws(_dot_)com]
Sent: Saturday, May 15, 2004 9:48 PM
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: RE: [xsl] killing xslt

My apologies for being slow to respond back to your call out Pieter.  I just
returned from Denver a day later than planned and am now catching up on
email.

I too have offered both server and development support for this project on a
thread separate from this.  I had intended to spend this weekend using the
conversion tool to transform the latest 7.9.x Saxon source.
But it seems silly to not first get all interested together, synched up, and
a plan put into place.  Would also like to see what type of feedback we can
get from Michael Kay regarding his thoughts about the effort that would be
needed to make the port as well as any problems or issues that he feels we
may encounter during the process.  Going into the project armed with as much
information as possible would obviously give us an edge during the
conversion.

I will contact you using the email you published on this thread.  But I will
use thread to encourage further the need for support for a project like
this.  Being away from my computer for a bit and being able to put quite a
bit of thought into the occurrences of the last few days has led me to
believe that the most important thing that needs to be done is to look at
every possible solution that we as developers have to solve our development
problems.  As such it is going to be just as important for us to try and
look at the code necessary to solve various common transformations AS WELL
AS querys to access a particular subset of data from both XML and SQL
sources.  It seems that if we put the time into trying out every proposed
combination of solutions we will be much better informed to make a final
position on whether or not XSLT 2.0 support on .NET is something that is as
important as we believe it is.
Having the ability to transform XSLT 2.0 code on .NET is obviously very
crucial to developing the data to make an accurate and well informed
decision either way.

I have quite a few URL's that I have registered over the years and a month
or two ago I registered the .COM.NET.ORG for X2X2X which I was using to
represent XSLT 2.0 XPath 2.0 and XQuery and have plans to use the .COM
version of the domain to act as the web front end version of a book I have
planned that covers all three of these languages and solutions that use the
power given to us by all 3 to solve the development scenarios that we as
developers are faced with on a day-to-day basis.  The .ORG version as of yet
has no plans for use and as such may act as a good interface to an the
organization of developers of whom plan to use these technologies in there
development and are willing help with the effort to build a common tool bag
for all of us to benefit from.

Any one else out there willing to help with the various aspects of this
proposed project?  No need for multiple people fielding responses so Ill
just republish the Pieter's email and allow him to continue with
coordinating this effort.

mail(_at_)pietsieg(_dot_)com

Other than making a final determination as to what domain name seems
appropriate (would be difficult to use an alias to communicate that hasn't
been created :) it seems that from here on out we should probably take the
communication about this project through a separate alias as this thread has
definitely gone past the intended purpose of this list to support actual
development using XSLT.  Once we have determined what domain name seems
appropriate then we can post it back to the list to let people know where to
go to offer support, communicate about the project, etc....

Comments regarding the domain name to use?

Again Pieter, I will contact you via your posted email to discuss the next
step in the proposed effort.

Best regards,

<M:D/>