xsl-list

RE: killing xslt

2004-05-14 01:50:08
Point well taken.

It makes me wonder why things like the Mono project,
(http://www.go-mono.com/) which is a project that allows cross
server-platform support of your .NET code base, haven't garnered more
attention from MS to try and block its progress.  I can see how the Mono
project could be a boon to MS to say that .NET code can also be run on
any server platform (gaining the support of cross-platform advocates)
while in the same breath saying that the Windows Server product is much
faster, etc... and therefore it makes more sense to run it on the
Windows platform.

Actually, this is definitely taking the subject away from XSLT so I will
just leave it at that.  Actually, it just occurred to me that we should
contact this project's coordinator to discuss the inclusion of XSLT 2.0
support as a default library.  Anybody know any of the guys on this
project?

-----Original Message-----
From: bry(_at_)itnisk(_dot_)com [mailto:bry(_at_)itnisk(_dot_)com]
Sent: Friday, May 14, 2004 4:37 AM
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: RE: [xsl] killing xslt

{"ASP.NET 2.0 is a phenomenal product. Many
of us believe that one of
our key XSLT scenarios, HTML generation,
will be greatly diminished with
the ease in which an ASP.NET solution can be
developed. There will
still be cases for XSLT on a web server,
however this will be reduced in
time."

I think we can finally say that we have
found the core reason behind the
decision to drop support for XSLT 2.0 - It
competes with ASP and has
been doing so since day one}

Actually I don't think it's that xslt
competes with asp.net, but rather that xslt
allows one to build solutions in such a way
that porting the solution to another
platform becomes significantly easier. not
something you want going on, especially when
your server is already taking a beating in
the market.